Saturday 20 October 2012

I've been shopping


So this blog has become my expensive hobby. I've even berated myself for going out some nights when afterwards I thought of the clothes I could've bought. Here's a few of what I have, I'll change the crappy eBay photo when I get the chance:

First up, I needed t-shirts so I got three of these bad-boys:


Not the black man. That would be racist and was outlawed here in 1833. They're t-shirts, they're white, and they're Ralph Lauren. That's about it. I got them on eBay and bought two Hollister shirts around the same time:


The first was sold as "Hollister Oxford Shirt" and is on the Hollister website as "Classic Daley Ranch Shirt." It looks as though Daley Ranch is a hiking spot just north of San Diego; only Hollister use the name in clothing. So Oxford shirts, eh?

An Oxford shirt is "long sleeve, button down collar, split yoke, with a pocket on the left breast, made of a certain type of fabric: Oxford is a type of weave employed to make the fabric in Oxford shirts. The warp has two fine yarns paired together. The weft has one heavier, softly spun fill yarn, which gives the fabric a very subtle basketweave look." I got that on Yahoo! Answers so it could be someone taking the piss.

Words I didn't really understand there: split-yoke, weave, warp, yarns, weft, fill yarn. It's like an Ann and Barry book here. Like, I know what weaving is, but couldn't explain it too well: they're just talking about patterns of over-and-under. YouTube knows best. The warp is the wool that creates the length in, say, a scarf. Yarn is a long bit of thread composed of fibres; thread is skinny yarn; string is used to tie things and could be yarn but could be nylon. Weft is the left-right (width) yarn in your scarf, aka the fill yarn. The yoke of a shirt is the top part across the shoulders; a split-yoke angles the warp and the weft so when someone moves, the fabric can stretch and the shirt will be more comfortable on the wearer.


I got the previous shirt because everyone's wearing Hollister. I got this one more because loads of guys are wearing striped blue shirts on nights out. I just noticed this week that Abercrombie own Hollister and Hollister is basically just cheap Abercrombie. I won't fret too much, it's not like there's anyone in Belfield not wearing Hollister. I bought more stuff, but it takes ages to write this.