Thursday 20 September 2012

UCD Soc

I joined a lot of societies this week. No sports clubs. Waste of money for the most part, but no news there.

So who's popular? Arts Soc, L&H and Law Soc were winning. I don't have solid figures, but 4500+ for L&H and 2000+ for Arts Soc, with a guess that Law Soc was somewhere in between. I think I joined all three. After my stroll around the tent, I just emptied the bags out, put all the flyers in a pile that I labelled "read later" and put all the junk food in a pile that I then gave it away. I'm going to put all the membership cards in my locker because otherwise they'll ruin the minimalist wallet I have going on.

Probably the best thing I got out of it was the scented soap from Lush that I got from UCD Fashion and Design Society. Obviously, I was eager to join them, but they were later setting up than most (that's cool) so I managed to get top of their list. On Thursday I went back to ask how they were getting on but they wouldn't tell me how many people had signed up, so I'm not able to tell you how cool they are here. The soap has been in my bag since joining and smells great. I haven't even opened it. It's actually reached the point where I'm worried I won't notice any bad smells in my bag because the soap smells so good.

I was surprised at the fact there were three Christian societies: Christian Union, Newman Society and another whose name I can't recall right now. The popularity split was 70/60/80, according to themselves. I neglected to tell them I was pitting them against each other on a blog and ended up giving €2 to Newman Society after misleading them into thinking I was in some way religious. It's solace for my sin.

Really, I just want to know what's going on and where's cool to go. The societies' websites would be good for that, yeah? I stopped bothering with links to the societies because they were all so bad. Newman Society site is "The Newman Society Web page is currently unavailable. Please check back later" and nothing more; Law Soc's site has instructions on how to set up a website; and Arts Soc says "Welcome To Artssoc.com. Blood Transfusion Only used in very serious forms of anemia when treatment is urgent." So I guess functional websites are out. I'll find them on Facebook, then write an entire post about it.